Perspective is defined by the times: Year 1998
Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together this list to try and give the faculty a sense of the mind set of that year's incoming freshman.
- The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.
- They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot.
- They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
- Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
- There has only been one Pope. They can only remember one president.
- They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War.
- They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them, not a movie.
- They are too young to remember the Space Shuttle Challenger blowing up.
- Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
- They never had a Polio shot, and likely, do not know what it is.
- Bottle caps have not always been screw off, but have always been plastic. They have no idea what a pull top can looks like.
- Atari pre-dates them, as do vinyl albums.
- The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
- They have never owned a record player.
- They have likely never played Pac Man, and have never heard of Pong.
- Star Wars looks very fake to them, and the special effects are pathetic.
- There have always been red M&M's, and blue ones are not new. What do you mean there used to be beige ones?
- They may have heard of an 8-track, but chances are they probably have never heard or seen one.
- The compact disc was introduced when they were one year old.
- As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents.
- They have always had an answering machine.
- Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black & white TV.
- They have always had cable.
- There have always been VCR's, but they have no idea what Beta is.
- They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
- They were born the year Walkman was introduced by Sony.
- Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.
- The Tonight Show has always been with Jay Leno.
- They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
- Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
- They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a football player.
- They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
- The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI and WWII or even the Civil War.
- They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
- They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
- They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
- They never heard the terms "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel" or "de plane, de plane!"
- They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
- The Titanic was found? I thought we always knew where it was.
- Michael Jackson has always been white.
- Kansas, Boston, Chicago, America, and Alabama are places, not groups.
- McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers.
- There has always been MTV, and it has always included non-musical shows.